Our ever-growing collection of prominent articles in Applied Sociolinguistics. These are some examples of research being done within the discipline of linguistics dealing with institutions and organizations outside academia.
- Crystal, David (2009) Just a Phrase I’m Going Through: My Life in Language. London and New York: Routledge.
- Sarangi, Srikant (2007) Editorial: The Anatomy of Interpretation: Coming to Terms with the Analyst’s Paradox in Professional Discourse Studies. Text & Talk 27-5/6: 567-584
- Linde, Charlotte (2001) Narrative and social tacit knowledge. Journal of Knowledge Management 5 (2): 160-170.
- Shuy, Roger W. (1984) Linguistics in Other Professions. Annual Review of Anthropology 13: 419-45.
Language and Business:
- Coulter, K. S. & Coulter R. A. (2010) Small sounds, big deals: Phonetic symbolism effects in pricing. In Journal of Consumer Research 37(2): 315-328.
- Sunderland, P.L. and R. M. Denny (2007) Framing cultural questions: What is coffee in Benton Harbor and Bangkok? In Doing Anthropology, eds. P.L. Sunderland and R. M. Denny. Walnut Cree, California: Left Coast Press. 57-82.
- Delin, J. (2005) Brand tone of voice: a linguistic analysis of brand positions. Journal of Applied Linguistics 2(1): 1-44.
- Kleifgen, J.A. (2001) Assembling Talk: Social Alignments in the Workplace. Research on Language and Social Interaction 34(3): 279–308.
- Bruthiaux, Paul (1996) The Discourse of Classified Advertising: Exploring the Nature of Linguistic Simplicity (Chapter 1). New York: Oxford University Press.
Language and Education:
- Wright, Laura (2008) Learning by Doing; The Objectification of Knowledge across Semiotic Modalities in Middle School Chemistry Lab Activities. Linguistics and Education 19: 225-243.
- Mernard-Warwick, J. (2005) Intergenerational trajectories and sociopolitical context: Latina immigrants in Adult ESL. TESOL Quarterly 39(2): 165-185.
- Adger, Carolyn Temple (2001). School-Community-Based Organization Partnerships for Language Minority Students’ School Success. Journal of Education for Students Placed at Risk 6(1&2): 7-25.
Language and Government:
Language and Health Care:
- Seetharaman, Deepa (2009, November 12). FDA Tackles Gray Area of Social Media. Reuters. Retrieved November 16, 2009, from http://www.reuters.com
- Hamilton, Heidi E. (2008) Narrative as Snapshot: Glimpses into the Past in Alzheimer’s Discourse. Narrative Inquiry 18(1): 53-82.
- Heritage, John and Jeffrey D. Robinson (2006) The Structure of Patients’ Presenting Concerns: Physician’s Opening Questions. Health Communication 19(2): 89-102.
- Epstein et al (2005) Measuring Patient-Centered Communication in Patient-Physician Consultations: Theoretical and Practical Issues. Social Science & Medicine 61:1516-1528.
- Maynard, Douglas W. and John Heritage (2005) Conversation Analysis, Doctor-Patient Interaction and Medical Communication. Medical Education 2005, 39: 428-435.
- Capps and Ochs (1995) Out of Place: Narrative Insights into Agoraphobia. Discourse Processes 19: 407-439.
Language and Law:
- Bucholtz, Mary (2009) Captured on tape: professional hearing and competing entextualizations in the criminal
justice system. Text & Talk 29(5):503-523
- Shuy, Roger W. (2007) Language in the American Courtroom. Language and Linguistics Compass 1(1–2) : 100–114.
- Olsson, J. (2004) Forensic Linguistics: An introduction to language, crime and the law. Continuum International Publishing Group, New York.
- Smith, Sharon S. and Shuy, Roger W. (2002) Forensic Psycholinguistics: Using Language Analysis for Identifying and Assessing Offenders. FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin Apr.2002 71(4): 16-21.
- O’Connor, Patricia E. (2001) The Prison Cage as Home for African American Men. Journal of African American Men 6(1): 71-88.
- Conley, John M. and William M. O’Barr (1978) The Power of Language: Presentational Style in the Courtroom. Duke Law Journal 6: 1375-1399.
Language and Social Justice:
- Jacquemet, Marco (2009) Transcribing refugees: the externalization of asylum seekers’ hearings in a transidiomatic environment. Text & Talk 29 (5): 535-546.
- Grady, Joseph and Axel Aubrun (2008) Provoking Thought, Changing Talk: Discussing Inequality. You Can Get There From Here (1) 3-12.
- Bartlett, Tom (2006) Linguistics and Positioning Theory within Conflict Analysis and Resolution: Work in Progress. Social Justice 6(1): 113-133.
- Baugh, John (2003) Linguistic Profiling. In Black Linguistics: Language, Society, and Politics in Africa and the Americas, ed. by Sinfree Makoni et al, pp. 155-163. New York: Routledge.